Thursday, February 02, 2012

Concepcion Signs with Cubs and Other Rumors...

- The Chicago Cubs have signed lefty Gerardo Concepcion to a $7M Major League contract according to numerous media outlets. Since this is indeed a Major League contract then he will have to be added to the 40-man roster which means a corresponding move will have to take place. The person who gets the information and impact of this deal down perfectly is Brett at Bleacher Nation. Check it out here.

- I have to toot my own horn here because a lot of people love to point out when you are wrong so in turn I love to point out when I am right. I was first to report the Cubs mad3 an aggressive offer to Concepcion which you can find here and the first to report it being down to only three teams including the Cubs that Concepcion was to pick from which is found here.

- This deal does in fact make it more appealing for Soler and Cespedes to come to Chicago. One thing is for sure; if the Cubs can land Soler and Cepedes next this would be the greatest offseason I have ever seen in my life-time for the Cubs.

- The Nationals are looking to trade lefty Pitcher John Lannan because of the recent acquisition of Edwin Jackson. Lannan is only 27 years old and a lefty making $5M this coming season. How does this effect the Cubs? Well my source said the Cubs and Nationals talks about a possible Byrd for Lannan have heated up and then added that the Cubs would likely have to include a top 25 prospect along with Byrd to make the deal happen. Lannan is making $5M next season and Byrd will be making $6.5M. You can see Lannan's stats here.

- The Cubs are still very much interested in Adrian Cardenas who was designated for assignment recently. It it unsure if the Cubs would trade for Cardenas but I fully expect a claim to be placed if the A's go that route.

Until Next Time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool, I'm going to pull something out of my *** to and say the Cubs made an aggressive bid for Cespedes. YEAH, I'm the first to report it! Get a real rumor right and then you can talk. Half of the stuff you post on here is pure BS, hence the Dempster for Hughes "rumors". Stupidest thing I've heard in while...